Thursday, January 3, 2013

Ask Not


John F. Kennedy so famously said, "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country".  One of Kennedy's most oft quoted lines from his inaugural address.  It was a powerful statement because it reaffirmed America's credo, namely, government isn't the solution to our problems, "We the People" are the solution to our problems.  

I was thinking of this quote however as a more religious statement.  Specifically, ask not what God can do for you- Ask what you can do for God.  And I think this is just as powerful and as meaningful.  I have thought for years that God does things in response to my actions.  So if I was good, God would be good to me.  However, I have come to realize that my focus was completely in the wrong place.  Instead I should work day in, and day out, to do honor to God, not the other way around.  And to really ask not what he can do for me in return.  I should do good and honorable things for God. Period.  So when God puts obstacles in your way, they are challenges to overcome and overcoming them does honor to God.  This philosophy is one that gives the individual freedom from selfishness and provides inspiration and focus to my daily life.
Amen....As an aside, it is historically interesting to note that JFK's little brother Teddy, the Liberal Lion of the Senate was probably the biggest detractor of JFK's most famous statement by advocating for policies that encouraged government dependency.As an aside, it is historically interesting to note that JFK's little brother Teddy, the Liberal Lion of the Senate was probably the biggest detractor of JFK's most famous statement by advocating for policies that encouraged government dependency.




No comments:

Post a Comment